Saturday, November 26, 2016

Post Thanksgiving wrap up

The big turkey day is over and our focus has shifted to the  big prize, Christmas!  Four weeks from today is Christmas eve!  Wasn't yesterday just the 4th of July?
 
I just wanted to take a moment from all the hustle and bustle to share a couple recipes that made our family day more yummier, is that a word? I always cook fresh cranberries and  was thrilled to find them at UGO (United Grocery Outlet) for only .99 cents a bag. The secret is : bring to boil 1/2 c. sugar, 1/4 c. brown sugar and 1/2c. water.  Then add the cranberries, 1 TBS. pumpkin pie spice, and 1 tsp. orange zest.  Simmer until all the berries pop.  The fun part is helping the tough berries break with the back of your spoon!
 

I also whipped up some deviled eggs, a favorite here but I probably haven't made since Easter! LOL
The secret here is hot sauce and smoked paprika.
 
 

This year for dessert I decided to try something new, making a caramel cream pie.  I had never made caramel from scratch and was excited to do this boil in a can experiment!  Turned out just like everyone said it should - whew! LOL
I got the idea from an internet recipe, Christmas with the Kranks caramel cream pie.  If your a fan of the movie or even the book, Skipping Christmas, then you will understand the significance of Blair's favorite pie.

 
Another easy peasy recipe: 2 14oz. cans unsweetened condensed milk, 7oz. jar marshmallow fluff, 1 graham cracker crust pie shell, and 16 oz. cool whip.
Boil milk in cans, lable,  removed, for 3 hours. After cooling, save 1/4 c. and set aside, and mix with fluff. Pour into crust and  refrigerate overnight.  Before serving; cover top of pie with cool whip and drizzle with reaming 1/4c. caramel.
This was good, but a little to sweet for my taste.  Next year I will just stick with my cheesecake pumpkin pie.

 
From my family  to yours - Have a holly, jolly Christmas season this year!
Blessings, Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment