Thursday, March 16, 2017

On the Road . . .

. . . to healthier eating, better self esteem, and Avon RepFest! LOL  I am embarrassed to mention it is well past Christmas and all those delicious sugar cookies and I am still struggling to gain the ground I lost during the annual holiday binge eating-a-thon. So with my head held high and my feet taking baby steps, here I go back down the road of lo to no carb and sugar free.
 
To kick things off right  made homemade banana bread for coloring club tonight using this recipe from one of my diabetic cook books:  Banana Bread
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup sugar (I use Truvia, but not full)
2 TBS. butter, melted (but thinking I will use coconut oil next time)
4 medium ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1 egg
cooking spray
 
 
1) Pre heat oven to 350 degrees, and spray a glass loaf pan with cooking oil. 
2) Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine sugar and next 3 ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. At this point I add nuts if I have any chopped pecans available. About 1/4 cup should do it and just lightly stir them in.
3) Pour batter into  loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 50  minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes ; remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.
 
Serving: 1 whole loaf (book claims 15 slices but I am skeptical )
 
 
 
Today I also dug out my skinny chocolate recipe . Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day and big deal in my house. I had bought the twins some fun gold foil wrapped chocolate coins to enjoy, but I wanted something too.
 
 
 

I made this coconut oil based chocolate , with orange extract.
 

You need to keep it in the freezer, but that is half the fun, remembering it's there or being pleasantly surprised when you don't!
 
Skinny Chocolate

1/4 cup cocoa powder (I find Ghirdelli's is best)
1/2 cup coconut oil
TBS. extract flavoring of your choice
TBS. Stevia/Truvia
Pinch of salt

1)Melt coconut oil.
2) Add cocoa, stevia, and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
3)Line pate with wax paper and spread mixture on top.
4) Freeze until solidified, then break apart like bark and enjoy!
5)Store in freezer.

Tip: I double the recipe and use cool shaped candy molds I found online.

Enjoy this Irish for everyone holiday! 
Blessings, Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment