Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Recipe Alert: Paleo Meat-stuffed Peppers

Yesterday was a busy day and I made sure to get my slow cooker going before I went out the door.  Have I mentioned I am in LOVE with my slow cooker?  And yes, even SAHM are to busy to cook sometimes.  Actually SAHM is a misnomer as we are almost never there!  LOL  Yesterday was our annual trip to the pumpkin patch and it left me with about an hour between that and taking twin daughter to ballet, returning home after 6 p.m.

 
 I have been veering back to a clean / Paleo eating  menu, in an attempt  to help heal my wheat belly/ leaky gut and multitude of food sensitivities.  I had a couple requests for the recipe :
 
Meat -stuffed peppers in the crock pot
 
5-6 green peppers
1 lb. ground beef
6 oz. tomato paste
8oz. tomato sauce
bag of frozen cauliflower
1 TBS. minced garlic
2 tsp. thyme
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. basil
 
1) Steam cauliflower, I use the microwave.
 
2) Mash cauliflower into a rice like consistency.  Most use food processor on uncooked cauliflower, but I use my potato masher on the steamed and it works just fine with about 1/4 of the dirty dishes. I mash it up with the garlic and spices.
 
3) Brown the ground beef and drain. Add the cauliflower mixture, tomato paste and sauce.  Continue to sir slowly.
 
4) Cut off the tops of the peppers and remove all the seeds.  Keep the tops!
 
5) Portion out the mixture in the peppers and place the peppers in a slow cooker that has been sprayed or greased.  Put the pepper tops back on.  Cook the peppers  on LOW for 8 hours.
 
Note: If there is extra filling, scope it into a ball on to some foil and pinch closed.  Place in with peppers and cook the same.  This happened to me and turned out to be a blessing as twin daughter wanted nothing to do with the peppers, but ate the filling right up!
 
 
 
 
This was not a meal by itself for my family (mostly the guys), so I struggled with what else to serve with it.  I settled on mac & cheese for the boys, but not what  would want for us all if made again.  So if you have any clean/paleo friendly ideas for a yummy side dish to go with this entrée, please share!
 
 
 
Blessings, Beth Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment