Thursday, August 15, 2013

Army Son Bagels

I made bread machine bagels today, for a quick grab and go breakfast tomorrow (I will be deal diva then).  I use to make these with my now army son, they were his favorite.  He called for the first time from S. Korea last night.  I would like to say that is what inspired me, but it is more like a God thing as I plan my menu a week or more in advance.  Yes that is me.  I already have a rough draft for the first week of Sept.  I keep a day planner in my purse and as I add to it I also add to my menu notebook.  Hey!  I think I smell a new blog idea!  LOL
 
Anyway, had a request for this recipe so here it goes:
 
Bread Machine Bagels
 
1 cup warn water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 TBS. sweetener
3 cup flour
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
3 qt. boiling water
3 TBS. sugar/sweeter
3 TBS. molasses*
1 TBS. cornmeal
1 egg white
poppy seeds, parmesan, sesame seed or sea salt - optional
 
1)Add water, salt, sweetener, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan in that order.  Select dough setting.
 
2)When cycle is complete, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface.  meanwhile in a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to boil.  Stir in sugar and molasses
 
3)  Cut dough into 8 equal parts, and roll each piece into a small ball.  Flatten balls.  Poke a hole I the middle of each with your thumb.  Twirl the dough on your finger to enlarge the hole..
 
 
Cover bagels with clean cloth and let rest for 30 minutes.
 
4)  Spray a baking sheet with oil, or some cornmeal.  Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water.

 
Boil for 3 minutes, turning half way through.  Drain briefly on clean towel.  Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet.  Glaze tops with egg white, and sprinkle on your choice of toppings.

 
5)  Bake in a preheated oven of 375 degree for 25 minutes, until well browned.

 
Voila'
 
These will be denser/chewier than store bought, but oh so much better!  You will never want to go back : )
 
Note*  I use molasses to obtain the typical bagel color that is usually produced from malt, as it is healthier.
 
Blessings, Beth Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment