Monday, August 12, 2013

Oil or no oil

I am trying so hard to eat better, for me and my family, despite the finance hardship.  So I will budget it a bag a chips for lunch and make sure we each have an equal serving, and that is the end of it.  No mindless grazing if you will.  So Fri. when doing my deal diva thing, I ran into Kroger for my oil.  That is the only place to find it, except on-line (well I haven't checked Publix either).  I saw these 'healthy chips' on special and decided to give them a go.  Honestly, not sure I could eat anymore greasy  bag chips.
 
 
So this is what we chose.
 

 
Here is what they look like.  We liked them.  Pretty tasty.
 

 
Here is the label.  Not bad.  The only thing that concerned me was the canola oil.  I thought I had read somewhere that canola oil was the worst and would kill you.  Never mind whatever 'expeller pressed' did for it.  So I Googled, or in my case Swag bucked and here is what I found: 


Canola oil is extracted from rapeseed, a plant in the cabbage family. Rapeseed oil is the traditional cooking oil of India and southern China, but the kind we use was bred in Canada to contain less erucic acid, a toxic fatty acid, than other varieties. This Canadian oil became known as canola oil.
I use canola oil in moderation, when I want a neutral-tasting oil, but I always look for organic, expeller-pressed brands. The lower-cost products sold in supermarkets have often been extracted with chemical solvents or high-speed presses that generate heat. Both methods alter the oil's fatty acid chemistry in undesirable ways. Furthermore, canola oil producers use a lot of pesticides on their crops, and I suspect that residues find their way into the finished product, so be sure to check labels.
Andrew Weil, M.D.
 
These are the only oils I use, besides real butter.
 
 
 
So, now ya know.  Blessings, Beth Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment