Friday, July 12, 2013

Grocery Shopping w/the Deal Diva 7-12-13

It's that time of the week folks, to see what the cat dragged in - LOL Today we did drag in a cat!  Well a kitten at least.  Hubby rescued it from inside a car engine in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot.  The owner didn't want it, had no idea where it came from; heck she didn't even know how to pop her own hood.  Glad hubby was with me.  Said kitten is now on craigslist with two families interested.  Praying it is out of here ASAP.  Our own furry friends are not happy at all!
 
OK, back to business.  This is what I found this week in the 'boro.
 
 
I know, I know, susage is soooo not healthy.  Sometimes you just need a little pig fat with your breakfast.  Found this great deal at UGO.  Family size 16 link size Jimmy Dean, only $1.59.  Great with some eggs in the a.m.
 



 
This is my Kroger find.  We went to what I call the 'ghetto' Kroger this time since we were in a time crunch and it was closer.  Glad I did.  I felt like I struck out at UGO, but made a rebound here.  Best finds were the Greek yogurt, chocolate milk and the chicken.  The yougurt was reduced to $1.99 a 4 pk. and the 1/2 gal. of choc. milk were $1 each.  We only drink real milk if I find a deal like this.  I can't drink it, but it made a nice treat for the children at lunch time. 
 

 
I dithered over the chicken tenders.  This is a dollar more than full price for the Wal-Mart store brand, but it is organic free-range.  As you can see I won out, I am worth it - LOL  Will try to live with the pk. - 2 meal deal.  Maybe some nice stir-fries.  I did get that cool stir - fry cook book at the library book sale . . .  hmmmmm
 

 
I also wanted to point out that Kroger is the only store in my area, short of going into Nashville, that carries aluminum-free baking powder.  Yes, that is important to me.  There is a link between aluminum  in our bodies/blood streams and Alzheimer's.    I have to many other health issues to not take this precaution.  It is also in our deodorant - I know right!  However, I have yet to find a good natural replacement that will stand up to the southern humidity
 : (

 
Love this, Everything French bread.  I make it into home made garlic - cheese bread.  Only $1.18 for a DIY!  If you were to buy the same, ready made for the oven, $2.69.  On the other hand, I am making bread in my machine as we speak (to go with the chix soup mentioned in yesterdays post) - no funny noises yet= and it only cost about .65 cents.  So there ya go. 
 

 
There is that beautiful bread!  Anyway, there are just something's I just CAN'T compromise on, no matter how much it hurts financially.  Here is two, maple syrup and peanut butter.  Well actually the pb is a compromise, it's full of legumes, which bread fungus.  I did find this store brand  at Wal-Mart, that contained NO rapeseed oil - PTL!  I can live with that for now.  As for the syrup?  It it's not real maple, it's just corn syrup - yuck.  I will make the pb last all month and most likely the syrup as well.
 
That's it for today folks.  I guess the moral here is to talk a walk on a different path once in a while and help a friend in need, even if it is inconvenient
 
Blessings, Beth.

No comments:

Post a Comment